Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, July 8, 2013

Teaching one of my favorite subjects

That is, map reading.  I was talking to my son in NY and asked if he thought the boys (7 and almost 5) would like it if I sent them maps covering the entire route I'm taking to NY, plus a couple of highlighters.  My thought is that I would let them know every day or two of my progress, the route I'm on, where I stayed overnight, etc., and they could follow my journey with their own maps.  The thing is that since I'm not going to be on much of the interstates, I almost have to send them individual state maps so they can find the US and State routes I'm traveling.

Mike seemed to be enthusiastic about it, and said they followed his travels to Afghanistan and back on a world map, and both of them learned at a very young age to assemble the jigsaw puzzle of all the states in the U.S.  So I will go to the AAA office soon and get the maps and into the mail to them.

Map reading was something I tried to teach my own kids and they can all do it, a couple of them being more interested and better at it than the others, but it's a skill worth knowing.  In these days of GPS, smart phone apps, etc., I want my grandchildren to learn that you can figure it out for yourself, and when you get older you have the choice to let a device do the work for you if you wish.  But the basic skills should be there.

I will also send them a Dr. Seuss type book I found at REI called "There's a Map on My Lap!".  Josh (the older one) is reading quite well now and he can read to Justin.

I got gas at Costco this morning for $3.59 a gallon, which is very good for California at this time of the year.  I still worry about the cost of fuel for a trip of 4500 miles, and then of course, back to CA which probably will be a few miles less depending on the side trips I make and what's left in my travel fund.

I made a stop at Target to pick up a couple of needed items.  I had one heavy item (a case of alcoholic beverage) so I took the cart all the way to the car, unloaded it, and then found a cart return spot nearby.  When I was getting into my car a woman stopped, rolled down her window, and thanked me for returning the cart rather than just leaving it in the parking area.  She said she almost never saw anyone returning carts and told me she appreciated it.  What a nice thing to say to someone, and the glow has stayed with me all day.  She must be referring to the Walmart parking lot where carts are left in parking spaces everywhere.  Sometimes it's like that at Costco as well, and I can't figure it out because there are so many return corrals it doesn't take much of an effort.

I want to thank Hobopals for the instructions on how to print gridlines on an Excel spreadsheet.  It worked, I printed the sheets out, and they look great!

I also thank Brenda for her encouragement regarding my finding an older dog.  They just adopted two mature dogs, Maya and Max, and their photos can be seen on their current blog entry.

The thermometer is climbing to the upper 90's for the next 10 days at least.  I can deal with it but sure hope it doesn't exceed 100 again!

Looking at the clock I see it's Miller time.  I need to make sure that the travel from Target to here didn't cause any damage to the quality of the beverage.



12 comments:

  1. Those boys will have a lot of fun mapping out where you are and they will learn a lot doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were traveling Gordon always included a map on his blog for our first granddaughter, Grace. She enjoyed watching where we traveled. The difference is ours was online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent idea about the maps... brilliant even!

    one of my pet peeves... is people not returning the cart to the corral.

    I have made issues when someone leaves their cart blocking a parking space or lets it roll into the driveway or hump it up on a curb or something ... when the damn corral is one car away!!!

    drives me insane! and I have thanked people or smiled with a nod when I see someone returning the cart ... especially a young person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you're familiar with the concept of Flat Stanley. Its a paper doll that is usually sent to you to take on your travels. Your job is to take pictures of Flat Stanley in different locations. Maybe your adult children can get the boys to make one for you. Of course it's your job to make the doll be in interesting places for the kids. You would also have to have ideas of how to incorporate it in map reading skills you're trying to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE maps and love to follow them. Wish I was your grandchild. What fun. Especially if you send them postcards from along your route. In the 90??? Oh my, definitely time to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learning the basics first is essential in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get so angry with folks who won't walk a couple of feet to put away their cart - and it's usually the young ones who are so inconsiderate. I've been known to say a thing or two. I like the idea of Flat Stanley. Would really add a lot -or it would for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, hope the travel in that heat did not damage 'the beverage'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how I missed your post yesterday. But your daughter is beautiful I thought it was your granddaughter.

    I think it's a great idea to send the boys the maps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you, I am a map person as well & enjoy going over my road Atlas's state by state as we travel. Also like you I always return a shopping cart to it's place & it always angers me when I see people who don't......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Map reading is such an important skill. Sure GPS is nice, but sometimes it doesn't work [says the owner of Ozcarz, with GPS] Pooldad, who has to route 20 employees everyday says he amazed that [although they do have GPS] that the most of the crew has no idea how to route their workdays because they can't read a map to figure out where the jobs are and work them according to the most expeditious route. He thinks it is quite sexy that I could always read a map. :) That is an awesome idea for your grandsons. You think of the neatest stuff.

    That was a really nice thing of that lady to say. Even when I feel like poop I would never dream of leaving my cart out by my car. It just isn't done in our house. When I had to tote 5 kids to the store with me - I still managed to the cart back in the corrals. I see mothers with young kids do it all the time [leave them out] and it irks me. What are they teaching their kids? It's okay to be a self entitled twit? They say "But it's their job." Yeah, but it doesn't mean you don't have to be courteous, does it? It's just rude.

    It's 9:30 here and we are on our way to 90 too - but in our case it is sure to rain again [and again, and again] so it will cool off this afternoon.

    Can't wait to start reading about your trip. PLEASE take care. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We did the map thing with our step-granddaughter for a while. You are right that it is important to know that you CAN do it yourself. Take math, for example. While you don't have to know the exact answer for 33 times 12, you should be able to figure out at least that it's close to 400. I despair that this generation and the next several won't know how to write a simple sentence that is grammatically sound.

    ReplyDelete